Schneider Engineering is seeking an Engineering Technician to design Distribution projects and provide Project Coordination support.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The principal duties and responsibilities of the Engineering Technician consists of, but are not limited to, the following
- Ensure adherence to Client standards to develop detailed design plans for projects.
- Ability to multi-task several projects through different requirements of design iterations and priority shifts.
- Project design from start to finish, including preparing drawings, preparing visual aids, staking sheets, engineering studies, permit applications, material testing, CADD work, reviewing, and editing specifications.
- Complete project life-cycle support from scoping to final design and implementation, including construction support and site visits when needed.
- Accountable for the resolution of technical engineering conflicts that affect cost, schedule quality or customer satisfaction.
- Support other team members and other divisions, as needed, with conversion of drawings between AutoCad, SolidWorks, Microstation and PDF formats.
- Coordinate with field personnel concerning questions or missing items.
- Prepare TXDOT permit drawings, acquire ROW maps as needed, coordinate with engineer to ensure ROW lines are properly drawn.
- Perform design calculations, estimates and statistics using industry tools and methods.
- Maintain good project documentation, including calculations, telephone conversations, design decisions, rationale and filing copies of all pertinent information.
- Attend project meetings as necessary to coordinate design and address any issues.
- Quality control project work to maintain the expected standards for project deliverables, including CAD work ensuring accurate scales, proper spelling, proper formatting, and completeness.
- Share expertise and suggestion improvement on the process or techniques with others on the design team to increase overall effectiveness.
- Monitor workload carefully with supervisor to aid in maintaining cost, schedule, and resource allocation for projects.
Preferred: Associates degree in drafting or design; 2+ years’ experience in Electric Utility design; knowledge of National Electric Safety Code, GIS Mapping Systems, RUS construction specification and standards, 811 locates process, utility accounting and purchasing practices, rates and tariffs.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent with 2+ years’ experience in field work.
Strong (effective) written and verbal communication skills, spreadsheet, and word processing applications. Strong skills of time management, organizational and multi-tasking.
This position requires the ability to listen and hear, good eyesight, sitting, standing, walking, and use of hands and arms.
Ability to work outdoors extended hours, walk and carry hammers, stakes, lathes, etc. for the purpose of laying out staking for Electric Distribution.